Media Blog Reflection

The topic of my first blog post was my relationship with media. I wrote the at blog entirely on social media because I believed that it was the only form of media that I personally felt I was surrounded by 24/7. I felt social media's impact on me was much more influential than any other form of media like television. After keeping this blog for the past month, I have realized that there is a new form of media that I am exposed to constantly even though I never new it was there. This form of media is marketing media.

All day long we are constantly being bombarded with advertisements. This form of media has been a constant in our lives for so long it is hardly noticeable anymore. This form of media is present in every other form of media, making it the most influential by far. If you pay enough attention, there are ads everywhere you look: in the movies you watch, on the highway, on the street, in shop windows, on the radio, on YouTube, even on cereal boxes. 


The most clever thing about this form of media is that most of us don't even realize just how widespread it is. And while we may not consciously register the information in the ads or knowingly acknowledge their presence, we subconsciously intake their messages. It is for this reason that when I wrote my initial blog, the existence of marketing as a form of media did not even occur to me. I believe this is intentional. We are more likely to buy products if we have the messages hammered subconsciously into our brains but do not feel that companies are nagging us to buy their products.

This was my most eye-opening take-away from maintaining this blog over the last month. as I have explored various advertisements that present themselves in many different forms. I feel that this experience has expanded my abilities in media literacy and helped me to understand a prominent aspect of our technology consumed wold I didn't even know existed. Thanks Mr. Maxwell for making me do this. It was actually really fun. That being said, I'm never writing another blog again. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Politics in the English Language

YouTube and Advertisers: A Tale of Two Partners

My Relationship With Media